HomeUpcoming CoursesCourse DescriptionsRegister OnlineSharpShooters StoreCWP Frequently Asked QuestionsLinksMap/DirectionsContact UsUSA Shooting Sports



 CWP Frequently Asked Questions



How long does it take to get a CWP once the application is mailed in?

Although processing times vary greatly depending on current demand and type of application, by state law SLED has 90 days to process and issue permits. If you applied more than 90 days ago and still have not received your permit or notification advising why you have not received it, please contact SLED Regulatory Services by emailing  CWPQuestions@sled.sc.gov


How do I renew my CWP application online?

From the SLED website, please click the online link within the “SLED CWP” box in the top right corner of the home page . Please carefully read the instructions provided, and follow the prompts to renew your permit. You will be able to apply on-line, so long as your CWP has not been expired for more than (18) months.


My CWP expired. Do I have to go through training again?

While you are encouraged to maintain familiarity and proficiency with the firearm you intend to carry with your CWP, retraining is not mandated by state law upon expiration. However, you will need to mail in an application as renewing online is not possible if the permit has been expired for more than 18 months then you MUST submit a paper renewal form and copy of your current SCDL.


Do I need the training information (instructor name, certification number, etc.) to fill out a Renewal application?

This information is not needed on a CWP renewal application and can be left blank.


I am an active duty member of the SCNG. What is required of me to apply for my expedited SCCWP?

In accordance with S.C. Code Ann. 23-31-210(g), members of the National Guard are exempt from the CWP Training; however, proof of current military service is required to be submitted along with the application as well as the following required items:

·  Copy of South Carolina driver’s license and a copy of your current government issued military identification card.

·  Two sets of fully completed, legible fingerprint cards

·  $50 application fee (must be certified check, cashier’s check, or money order)

·  Must have SCNG written on the top of the application, and mailed to:

·  SLED Regulatory Services

·  Attn: CWP/SCNG

·  PO Box 21398

·  Columbia, S.C. 29221


I am a disabled veteran. Do I need to pay the CWP application fee?

No, Disabled veterans are exempt by state law from paying the CWP fee. Please include a letter from the VA certifying your disability, along with your application and other required- documents, including a VA card showing that you are indeed Service Connected. There is no minimum percentage of disability required to be fee exempt.


 I am a retired/former military member. What training do I need to complete?

Retired/former military members must complete only the legal aspects portion of the CWP training by a certified South Carolina CWP instructor. A listing of is available on the SLED website, which is under the Concealed Weapons Permit Program tab. You are only required to submit a copy of your (DD 214) along with your application to qualify. Your selected instructor will help you navigate through the remainder of the CWP application process.


I am an active duty military member. What training do I need to complete?

In accordance with South Carolina State law, active duty military and members of the reserve, or National Guard members are exempt from all CWP training. However, you will need to submit a CWP application, two fingerprint cards, proof of military service, permanent change of station orders, a copy of your driver’s license, and the required $50 application fee to SLED, PO Box 21398, Columbia, SC 29221. Please check the appropriate box at the top of the application to ensure proper processing.


I am a retired/former law enforcement officer. What training do I need to complete?

If you are retired from a law enforcement agency and have not maintained any type of certification or commission; or used to be a law enforcement officer who completed a state or federal training academy, you only need to complete the legal aspects portion of the CWP training by a certified South Carolina CWP instructors. You are only required to submit a copy of your LEO training certificate with your application to qualify. Also, you are exemptfrom paying the $50 fee. A listing of instructor is available on the SLED website under the Concealed Weapons Permit Program tab. Your selected instructor will help you navigate through the remainder of the CWP application process. If you still maintain a retired (HR-218) certification, you are exempt from training and are also exempt from the processing fee.


I am a retired law enforcement officer. Do I have to pay the CWP application fee?

No. By state law, retired law enforcement officers are exempt from paying the CWP application fee. Please include a letter from the retirement/pension authority from which you receive benefits along with the application and other required documents.


I have a valid SCCWP but where can I carry my gun in my vehicle?

“Pursuant to S.C. Code Ann. § 16-23-20(9) (A)-(B), the weapon must be “(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle’s passenger compartment; or (b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the Provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23.” 






          South Carolina Gun Laws

Enter content here

Enter supporting content here